Market price at suggestion – 561 Rs
Market price is the price at which stock was trading on the date of publishing this report. Please check the date of this report.
Note-: Normally we at darkhorsestocks do not suggest this type of companies but given the fundamentals , Market dynamics and significant risk of investing at current valuations we are suggesting this stock and we strongly feel that although it is a part of Tata Group but it is very uncommon stock and not many people are aware of it gigantic operations spread across all over the world.
A part of US$ 113 billion Tata Group, Tata Chemicals is a globally leading multinational company engaged in the manufacture of inorganic chemistry products with plants spread across four continents America, Europe, Africa and Asia. Their salt works, spread over 36,000 acres, are the largest in Asia. Tata chemicals produces soda ash using synthetic and natural mining process. Of this, 3/4th capacity consists of natural soda ash
Tata Chemical offers inorganic chemistry solutions that serve the world’s leading downstream brands.
Tata Chemicals currently is the world’s third largest producer of soda ash with manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, Africa and North America. Tata Chemicals is the world’s third largest producer of sodium bicarbonate, which has applications that range from food to pharmaceuticals to air pollution control. Tata Chemicals is the pioneer and market leader in India’s branded Iodised salt segment. The company sells pulses and spices under the Tata Sampann brand. The company’s Tata Swach range of water purifiers includes a low-cost, nanotechnology-based purifier that provides safe drinking water at affordable prices. The company also makes nutraceuticals for healthy and tasty modern food. With its Farming Essentials portfolio, the company through its subsidiary Rallis India has a strong position in the crop protection business.
About Darkhorsestocks – DARKHORSESTOCKS are those which are fundamentally strong, have good growth potential and very few people know about. We suggest only one such idea every week on Sunday. So far majority of those stocks have delivered above 35% returns in over a year with some of them giving exceptional returns. For Whatsapp Updates Click here.https://wa.me/917874999975?text=Subscribe
Incorporated in 1939 the company completed the bromine plant, the first unit of the company’s chemical works. Later they started production of caustic soda, liquid chlorine, bleaching powder, hydrochloric acid and zinc chloride.
Currently Tata chemicals is involved in Agri Sciences , Nutritional Sciences , Material Sciences and Energy Sciences .
- Alkali products: Soda Ash, Sodium Bicarbonate, Caustic Soda, Crushed Refined Soda
- Halogen products: Chlorine-based products, Bromine-based products Salt products
- Industrial Salt, Livestock Salt, Animal Salt, Gypsum
The cement plant has an installed capacity of 1,500 tonnes per day and manufactures two varieties of cement under the brand name Tata Shudh: Ordinary Portland cement (grade 53) & Masonry cement. Shudh cement has already acquired a 4 percent share in the cement market in Gujarat despite tough competition from its better-established competitors.
Company through its subsidiary Rallis India manages business of agri sciences . Tata chemicals has a reach of upto 80% of India’s districts and have seven power brands through our subsidiary Rallis India, which offers crop protection and agri-input solutions..Rallis develops and manufactures a wide range of products and solutions including seeds, crop protection solutions and Specialty Nutrient solutions to improve farm productivity. Its international business deals with active ingredients and its formulation and contract manufacturing.
Tata chemical offers an innovative range of nutritional solutions, prebiotics and healthier alternatives to regular sugar for consumers. Company offers nature-inspired and science- backed ingredient and formulation solutions, marketed under the brand Tata NQ, catering to human and animal health. Its flagship product lines – FOSSENCE® and GOSSENCE® – are prebiotic dietary fibres that promote gut microbiome growth for better digestive and immune health.
- FOOD & BEVERAGES
- Nutri Foods
- Nutri Beverages
- Indian Sweets
Tata chemicals is a leading player in the niche area of advanced nano-material solutions. With growing demand for superior materials like Highly Dispersible Silica (HDS) for high-performance and fuel-efficient green tyres and nano Zinc Oxide (nZnO) for improved anti-fungal, anti-microbial and UV blocking properties in industrial and cosmetic applications, this business caters to an expanding market. A similar demand trend for high-performance silica products in non-tyre rubber (automotive elastomers) and non-rubber applications (oral care, coatings) provides more growth opportunity.
Lithium-ion cells are one of the most critical components in an Electric Vehicle (EV); and with the Company’s inherent strengths in chemistry, Tata Chemicals is creating a platform to become a world- class provider of cutting-edge and disruptive electro- chemistry solutions for Energy Storage. Apart from EVs, there are numerous applications in stationary storage, in particular for supporting growing number of renewable energy generation projects.
With strong capabilities in chemistry, Tata Chemicals has also launched its Lithium- ion battery recycling operations.
Demerger of the Consumer Products Business
With a view to enable the Company to focus on its Basic Chemistry and Specialty products Business and to integrate the Consumer products Business activities undertaken by both, the Company and tata Consumer products limited (formerly known as tata global Beverages limited), under a single entity, the Board of directors of the Company at its Meeting held on May 15, 2019 approved the Scheme of arrangement amongst tata Consumer products limited (‘tCpl’) and the Company and their respective shareholders and creditors (‘the Scheme’) for the demerger of the Consumer products Business of the Company (‘CpB’) to tCpl. the CpB consisted of the business of sourcing, packaging, marketing, distribution and sales of (i) vacuum evaporated edible common salt for human consumption, (ii) spices, (iii) protein foods and (iv) certain other food and other products.
One of the key specialities of us at darkhorsestocks is that we try to present the stocks which are not very common or hardly few people actually know about. Most of the darkhorsestocks ideas are not covered by any of the brokerages or research house by presenting research reports .
In accordance with the provisions of the Scheme, shareholders of tata Chemicals limited holding 100 shares of Rs 10 each as on the record date i.e. March 5, 2020, were allotted 114 equity Shares of Rs 1 each of tata Consumer products limited, which are listed on BSe limited, the national Stock exchange of India limited and the Calcutta Stock exchange limited.
Tata Chemicals North America Inc.
Tata Chemicals North America Inc., hereinafter referred to as Tata Chemicals North America (TCNA), is one of the world’s leading producers of high-quality soda ash. TCNA and its predecessor companies have been producing soda ash (also known as sodium carbonate) since 1884. Formerly known as General Chemical Industrial Products Inc., TCNA became a part of Tata Chemicals Ltd. (TCL) in 2008.
During the year under review, Valley Holdings Inc., a step- down wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company, has acquired the remaining 25% partnership interest in tata Chemicals (Soda ash) partners Holdings from the andover group, Inc., a subsidiary of owens-Illinois Inc. for uS$ 195 million. With this acquisition, the Company, through its subsidiaries in the united States, has increased its ownership in tata Chemicals (Soda ash) partners, the soda ash producing entity, to 100%.
For FY 2019-20, eBItda at tCna was uS$ 104.80 million (Rs 742.80 crore) against uS$ 97.90 million (Rs 684.28 crore) in the previous year. Profit before tax and profit after tax and non-controlling interest for FY 2019-20 were at uS$ 64.15 million (Rs 454.68 crore) and uS$ 35.96 million (Rs 251.35 crore) respectively against uS$ 82.30 million (Rs 575.24 crore) and uS$ 54.60 million (Rs 381.63 crore) respectively in the previous year.
TCE Group Limited and British Salt Limited
Tata Chemicals Europe (TCE) is one of Europe’s leading producers of sodium carbonate, salt and sodium bicarbonate and other products, from our plants in Cheshire, UK. Having been founded in 1874, and being a founder-member of ICI. Now owned by Tata Chemicals, we are proud to be part of the Tata Group of companies. TCE group limited’s business consists of Soda ash, Sodium Bicarbonate and energy units and British Salt limited manufactures and sells food grade and industrial salt.
Tata Chemicals Magadi Limited
Established in 1911, Tata Chemicals Magadi Limited has been producing soda ash at Lake Magadi for a hundred years. Formerly known as Magadi Soda Company, TCML has been a part of Tata Chemicals since 2005. Tata Chemicals Limited (TCL), part of the global Tata group, is one of the world’s leading chemical companies, with a widespread portfolio of household products, industrial chemicals and agricultural inputs. TCL’s operations are located in the US, the UK, Kenya and India. Tata Chemicals Magadi Limited (TCML) occupies a significant place in the African economy. It is Africa’s largest soda ash manufacturer and one of Kenya’s leading exporters
Tata Chemicals Africa
Tata Chemicals South Africa (TCSA) is a subsidiary of Tata Chemicals Limited one of Tata Sons Holding group of companies. TCSA is situated in the Port of Durban and is one of the largest importers of a chemical sodium carbonate (Soda Ash) into South Africa. TCSA’s core business is handling and distribution of Soda Ash. It is shipped as a bulk commodity and arrives at the Durban terminal for sale to local and neighbouring markets
Tata Chemicals International Pte. Limited
It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company, constitutes trading, procurement and holding investments in overseas subsidiary.
For 3rd Qtr ended Dec 2020
- Mithapur expansion plan is progressing well. And we have the CAPEX spend which company has already highlighted of Rs. 2,400 crore, company already committed Rs. 800 crore and balance will be spent over the next two years.
- On a consolidated basis, company had Rs. 3,118 crore of cash at the end of December, up slightly from September 2020’s balance of Rs. 3,039 crore.
- Net debt was Rs. 3,743 crore, pretty flat with September’s Rs. 3,767 crore.
- Net Sales at Rs 812.24 crore in December 2020 up 6.96% from Rs. 759.37 crore in December 2019.
- Quarterly Net Profit at Rs. 115.64 crore in December 2020 down 0.52%
- EBITDA stands at Rs. 200.53 crore in December 2020 down 12.6% from Rs. 229.44 crore in December 2019.
- Tata Chemicals EPS has decreased to Rs. 4.54 in December 2020 from Rs. 4.55 in December 2019.
For year ended march 2020
- Consolidated revenue from operations was flat at
10,357 crore in FY 2019-20. EBITDA increased by 9% to1,949 crore.
- PAT was ` 1,028 crore.
- Business continues to generate robust cash flows at ` 1,780 crore which supported the Capex to the tune of ` 1,199 crore during the year.
- Profit after tax from Continuing operations decreased from `1,162.82 crore in FY 2018-19 to `1,028.41 crore in FY 2019-20, decrease of 12%.
- Profit for the year (Continuing operations and discontinued operations) increased from `1,386.85 crore in FY 2018-19 to `7,228.15 crore in FY 2019-20 (includes exceptional post-tax gain of `6,168.40 crore relating to discontinued operations).
- Profit for the year attributable to equity shareholders of the Company increased from `1,155.91 crore in FY 2018-19 to `7,006.33 crore in FY 2019-20 (includes exceptional post-tax gain of `6,168.40 crore relating to discontinued operations).
India Operations – For FY 2019-20, revenues from the Basic Chemistry products business dropped by 7.65% to ` 2,836.91 crore as against ` 3,071.92 crore in the previous year. profit before tax (pBt) for FY 2019-20 was ` 819.20 crore as against ` 762.48 crore in the previous year, which is higher by 7.44%.
Agri Sciences (Rallis India Limited) during the year under review, rallis India limited, listed subsidiary of the Company (‘rallis’), achieved a consolidated revenue from operations of ` 2,251.82 crore compared to ` 1,983.96 crore in the previous year, an increase of 13.5%. net profit after tax of ` 183.69 crore, higher by 18.7% as against a net profit after tax of ` 154.78 crore in the previous year.
Nutritional Sciences – Revenues grew to ` 65.15 crore, while the customer base grew to more than 250 customers.
Earnings from the cash surplus investments during the year amounted to ` 162.20 crore.
Progress in FY 2019-20
- Ongoing capex for capacity expansion and debottlenecking at Mithapur with implementation phased to focus on rapid expansion of essential products .
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) approval for Soda Ash expansion at Mithapur
- Acquired remaining 25% stake in Tata Chemicals (Soda Ash) Partners Holdings from The Andover Group Inc for US$ 195 million, thereby increasing Tata Chemicals’ ownership to 100%
- Rs800 crore investment approved for growth in key molecules and enhancing of formulation plant capacity .
- Metahelix Life Sciences-Rallis merger to enhance shareholder value and leverage synergies of businesses
Commissioned state-of-the-art Nutraceuticals plant at Nellore
- ‘Green’ patented technology for manufacturing Highly Dispersible Silica (HDS) for tyres .
- Wide range of customised Conventional Silica products. Patented process for Nano Zinc oxide and strong R&D capabilities including nanotechnology .
- Commissioned 10 KTPA precipitated Silica manufacturing plant at Cuddalore post upgrading the plant infrastructure & systems .
- Accelerated R&D and commercial engagement with tyre companies . Capacity enhancement for manufacturing of Nano Zinc Oxide and increase in customer engagements
- Investing in microbiome and fermentation- based ingredients, prebiotics, probiotics and enzymes.
- Shifting from traditional to synthetic biotech and promote co- development model with customers .
- High quality Natural Extracts for food and pharma industry
- Build on technologies in Lithium-ion battery/ cell manufacturing and Next Generation chemistries . Partnership with Tata Technologies to establish own Battery Engineering Centre in Pune .
- Land acquisition and development at Dholera, Gujarat .
- Development of batteries at our engineering centre for 2W and 3W OEMs .
- Engagements with power and telecom companies for Energy Storage Solutions.
- Commenced pilot scale Lithium-ion battery recycling operations and commercial sale of recovered, metal salts
- Focussing on HDS for tyre and other high-growth applications and exploring adjacent innovative materials .
- Evaluating and executing phased capacity expansion of Silica .
- Scale Nano Zinc Oxide business into coatings and additive applications .
- Expansion of portfolio into other nanomaterials aimed at healthcare and advanced applications .
- Building < 1 GWh cell line by 2021 with technology from a global leader .
- Completing 2-3 commercial scale energy storage projects .
- Scaling Lithium-ion battery recycling operations .
- Setting up pilot line to manufacture cathode active materials
Tata chemicals is a part of Tata group company which is know for it integrity , principles and taking in to consideration of all stakeholders for overall growth and prosperity. Although company has huge debt of 7500 crs but given tata groups strong backing the risk is very well minimized and to support the fact company has large amount cash and equivalents as well as significant investments with huge ongoing capex. Additionally when the stock markets are inching higher and higher making new highs it is very difficult to go and purchase some of the stocks which are trading at premium over valuations. A small fall in the market can also lead to significant correction in those stocks. So at such times instead of buying those risky stocks it is worth exploring this company backed by tata chemicals and with a book value of almost equal to its current market price. Book value is based on the value of investments as on 31st March 2020 or the value that would have been taken in valuing the assets as on the date of the preparation of the balance sheet. However given the fact that market is up significantly from the march lows there can be substantial increase in the value of assets if current valuation is taken into account. Thus this is worth exploring for long term.
Please note that above expressed are our own views. Users are requested to take their own decision regarding investments. No member of DARKHORSESTOCKS would be responsible for any loss.